We are very thankful for how much we accomplished this Saturday. I want to give kudos to everyone who showed up to help. The group worked very well together and I hope that new connections were built between the different groups of people. We had people from HYP (Harrisburg Young Professionals), HARBOR (Harrisburg Outreach - my Bible Study group), friends from our church (both from the church in general and another young adult group called 4twelve), members of the community and two members of city council.
A few of the many things we did:
1. Cleaned up the dump sight right behind our home (HYP primarily focused here).
2. Cut a tree that was growing parallel to the ground (Hershey Free)
3. Used string trimmers to cut high grass and weeds (Hershey Free, HARBOR, and HYP, and community)
4. Picked up trash in the different lots (Hershey Free, HARBOR, and HYP, and community).
5. Cut grass (Community).
6 Had some high quality soil donated to us that we transported from 2nd and Emerald up to 6th and Emerald. Spread it on area where Cindy is planting flowers (4 twelve and community).
It went so smoothly. I am very excited to see how things will progress in the future. Again the biggest thing we need to work on next time is getting the word out in the community. I am not sure, but I think that going door to door and letting people know about how they can help is a huge way for us to make a long-term difference.
I am grateful for all who helped. I'm not sure I can express how much it means to me that all the volunteers gave up some of their time on a beautiful Saturday morning to help. It makes a tremendous difference. Every little bit helps a lot.
I will have more detailed photos posted that will show evidence of how much progress we made today.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve YOUR community with OUR community! I admire you guys!
ReplyDelete