For us, being a part of God’s mission means following God where He leads us and being willing to set aside our own agendas to follow God’s leading. This really started to take place in our lives on a mission trip to New Orleans for a week. Then, He called us to leave the comforts of our suburban homes to move into Harrisburg. We gave up some of the comforts that we had known, but it is a blessing to know that we are following God.
The process really started in June 2006. I went on a mission trip to New Orleans with my Bible study group, EPIC. God used that trip to plant and grow a desire in my heart to minister to those in Harrisburg. One day when we were cleaning the streets and talking to people near Castle Rock Community Church in downtown New Orleans, God tapped me on the shoulder and told me that I could be doing the same thing in Harrisburg. I soon realized that He wanted me to move into Harrisburg. This meant leaving my nice house and safe neighborhood in suburbia. I put my townhouse up for sale in December of 2006 and it sold within 4 days. In January of 2007 I settled on my house in Harrisburg. Three months later I started dating Nate Wagner at an EPIC retreat. In January of 2008 we were engaged and on August 8th we were married right here in this sanctuary! God set things in motion and we’re along for the ride.
Specifically we have seen God at work as we develop relationships with our neighbors. Currently, there is a family across the street that has been a part of our lives since we cleaned the streets during Graceworks I in 2008. Since then Nate has had many significant conversations about God and what He means to us.
God has opened doors for us within the city government, including the city council, to improve our neighborhood. We have adopted our block and an abandoned lot on our block to beautify it and use it as a tool to reach our neighborhood.
Our goal is to make connections with people in the neighborhood and show them the love of Christ. God did not call us to comfort and security, but to follow him on this journey regardless of the circumstance. Our theme verse is Revelation 21:23 which says, “The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.” We are in Harrisburg to be that light.
No comments:
Post a Comment